The Bugaboo Bee5, also known as the Bugaboo Bee has received rave reviews. Bugaboo listened to its consumers and made vast improvements on the new Bee5 stroller.
The new Bee5 can be used for infants from birth until 37.5lbs.
The Bugaboo Bee5 provides all of the features of large, bulky, and heavy prams and strollers but in a compact and light model.
Yet, the Bee5 only weighs 18.5lbs (more than lightweight strollers but much less than normal standard size strollers and travel systems) and is only 21 inches wide unfolded and 18 inches wide folded.
For a stroller with this many features, it doesn’t get more compact than that.
And the stroller is even car seat adaptable (with Graco SnugRide and Maxi Cosi Mico infant car seats) allowing it to be used as a lightweight travel system.
One of the benefits of this particular travel system is that you attach the car seat on the stroller frame independently from the stroller seat, meaning you remove the stroller seat when you attach the car seat.
This makes this travel system lighter than many other systems where the car seat is attached on top of the stroller seat. However, there is a catch for owning such a terrific lightweight travel system—the price.
Bugaboo Bee5 Review :- Features
Bugaboo Bee5 Classic Complete Special-Edition Stroller, Alu/Dark Navy - Compact, Foldable Stroller for Travel and Urban Life
- Timeless Style: From the fresh white, quilted micro-twill interior lining to the shiny black wheel caps, the Bee5 Classic is a special-edition stroller that puts a sleek spin on the Bee5's design! And because we opted for a neutral color palette, it's great for both baby boys and girls
- Great for Travel: Weighing less than 20lbs, the Bee5 Classic is our lightest, most compact stroller! Whether navigating the city or taking a trip, the one-handed, one-piece fold makes it ideal for travel. It's even compact enough for space-saving storage at home or in a car
- Designed for Comfort: With a plush seat and extendable back rest and foot rest, our easy-fold stroller delivers cozy comfort for babies! For parents, we added a height-adjustable handlebar with luxurious black faux-leather grips, ensuring complete comfort and control
- Customizable Convenience: Featuring a reversible seat, the Bee5 Classic seat can either face the parent or face the world! Complete with an extendable, UPF 50+ sun canopy, an under-seat basket and rain cover, you and your baby are ready for virtually anything
- Premium Quality: To ensure a safe ride, our foldable strollers undergo over 1,500 safety tests and feature functional buttons designed to be clicked up to 100,000 times! Paired with soft, durable fabrics that are machine washable, cleanup is truly no-hassle. As an added benefit, the outer fabrics are made with recycled materials
- 3 Position Recline Seat (including a fully flat seat position for newborns)
- Extendable Seat Base (to accommodate a growing child)
- Reversible Seat (allows child to face you or face the world and now comes with an easy to use circular joint system to lift the seat, reverse the seat and put it back in the frame)
- Foam Filled Rubber Tires (no flats like with air-filled tires—but also means not for all-terrain)
- 360 Degree Swivel Tires (to maneuver stroller with one hand)
- 4-Wheel Independent Suspension (for a smooth ride)
- Height Adjustable Seat, Harness and Sun Canopy (4 extra positions allow for the seat back rest to increase in height giving an extra 3 inches to accommodate a growing child and all units adjust simultaneously. You don’t need to rethread the harness when you adjust the height)
- Height Adjustable Handle Bar
- 5-Point Safety Harness
- Stand Board for Toddlers (a special unit that comes out from under the stroller for a toddler to stand on and ride along) (extra)
- One Piece Fold (the stroller can be folded without removing the seat from the base which is necessary in many other strollers)
- Compact Fold
- Large Storage Basket (accessible even when seat is in recline position)
- Removable and Washable Sun Canopy
- Rain cover (extra)
- Newborn Cocoon (extra)
- Cup holder (extra)
- Car Seat Adaptor (extra) (compatible for the Graco SnugRide or Maxi Cosi Mico Infant Car Seat
What You Will Love About The Bugaboo Bee5
The Bugaboo Bee5 is a fantastic option for parents looking for a lightweight and compact stroller that is suitable for newborns, can convert to a pram or a travel system, and can grow with their child, negating the need for the purchase of another stroller down the road.
The Bugaboo Bee5 is a stroller in a class of its own because it is one of few strollers on the market.
Today that addresses the desire of parents to avoid heavy and bulky strollers and travel systems yet still enjoy all of the features that come with these more standard strollers.
Most lightweight strollers are not suitable for newborns, do not come with reversible seats, and are not infant car seat compatible.
The Bee5 (although not as light weight as an umbrella stroller) comes with all of these features.
However, in order to create such a stroller the Bee5 does sacrifice the ability to be an all terrain stroller (a feature of many other standard size strollers and travel systems that are heavier and come with air-filled rear tires).
But still, nevertheless, gives a smooth and enjoyable ride. This stroller is especially a favorite with city-dwellers.
A Perfect Stroller Option
Another great feature of the Bugaboo Bee5 is the ability to have the stroller grow with your child.
The stroller can initially be used for newborns since the seat can lie flat.
For an additional $100 you can purchase a special cocoon to put on the seat for added comfort and protection for your baby (and after seeing the new Bugaboo Bee5 stroller seat.
I would say it would not be safe to put a new baby in this stroller without the cocoon).
The cocoon serves as a sort of bassinet feature, converting the stroller into an almost pram. Then you can remove the cocoon when it is no longer relevant for your baby.
The seat is reversible so that your baby can either face your or the world and there is a special toddler standing board so that your older child can stand and ride along on the stroller (although this costs extra).
Also, unlike many other lightweight strollers, the basket underneath is fully accessible even when the seat is in the recline position (although you access it from the front of the stroller rather than from the rear.)
The base of the stroller, including the seat, only comes in standard black or in a limited edition gray.
You personalize your stroller with color through your purchase of the sun canopy. You can buy more than one color of sun canopy and then switch the canopy as your mood desires.
The Bugaboo Bee weighs 19.6lbs and is made in Holland.
Bugaboo Bee5 Review:- Pros
The Bugaboo Bee5 stroller has received a user rating of 4 out of 5 stars from users at babyearth.com, toysrus.com and amazon.com.
Almost every reviewer says the Bugaboo Bee5 pushes like a dream—even when loaded down with a child and bags, can be steered one handed, and has great suspension, creating a smooth ride over bumpy city sidewalks.
The stroller comes with a telescopic push handle, a spacious storage basket and it won’t tip over if you hang bags off the handle bars.
The Bee5 is easy to fold, can be unfolded with only one hand, and can be folded in one piece (you don’t have to remove the seat before folding like many other reversible seat strollers).
When folded, the Bee5 is very compact and takes up little trunk space. Users report that this is a very easy stroller to travel with.
Urban dwellers in particular love the Bugaboo Bee5 because the stroller is very narrow for a standard size stroller and fits through all doorways without a problem, and is easy to use in small spaces like between clothing racks.
The stroller grows with your child thanks to the extendable seat and has a fully reclining seat for newborns and for toddlers who want to nap.
To create a makeshift bassinet, you can purchase the lightweight cocoon insert which many users feel is better than having a bulky bassinet.
Users also love that you can use Bugaboo Bee5 as a travel system where the infant car seat attaches just to the stroller frame (like using a Graco Snap and Go) since this makes such a nice lightweight travel system.
In summary, users feel the Bugaboo Bee5 is “better than anything on the market,” is well “worth the money.”
Bugaboo Bee5 Review:- Cons
Many of the negative comments about the Bugaboo Bee5 relate to what you get for the price.
Many people are upset that they have to pay separately for the cup holder and car seat adapter, especially since the price of the base stroller is so high.
A few others also point out that the rain cover is a bit flimsy and can rip.
Other complaints are that it takes two hands to fold the stroller (although only one hand to unfold) and that the car seat adapter has to be removed before folding.
Several people also complain that the seat is hard to recline but one reviewer figured out a trick for doing so: when the seat is in upright position, push the seat forward, and THEN, lift the white handle bar to recline.
Many people also feel the Bugaboo customer service is very poor and feel that for the price paid for Bugaboo strollers the customer service should be well above par.
Lastly, some users worry that the stroller seat is just too narrow for larger toddlers and overall just don’t feel the Bugaboo Bee Plus is worth the price paid.
- Reversible stroller seat and seat extends for use with toddlers
- Can fold stroller in one step with stroller seat attached, folds compact
- Create lightweight travel system by attaching infant car seat to the stroller frame
- Stroller seat reclines flat and create pram with bugaboo cocoon
- Easy to push and steer with one hand
- Handles uneven surfaces smoothly
- Lightweight and narrow frame
- Telescopic push handle
- Takes two hands to fold stroller
- Need to pay extra for accessories even after paying so much for the stroller
I have been searching for a new stroller for my daughter and after researching the Bugaboo Bee5 I think I may have found it.
I currently own a regular lightweight, compact stroller that has a fully reclining seat—so I have been able to use it with my daughter since birth.
But, she is always miserable and I have finally figured out it is because she can’t face me.
However, trying to find a stroller with a reversible seat that is also still compact and lightweight is not an easy feat.
I am very excited about this stroller and can’t wait to take it for a test drive.
I also love that it can be used as a travel system and has a toddler stand board—so it is a stroller that can grow with the family.
I’ll keep you updated about what I think after I try it out.
Update: I loved my test drive with the Bugaboo Bee5. The stroller really is lightweight, compact and I can easily steer it with one hand.
I was even able to maneuver it through the crowded store and around display racks and counters without any difficulty.
The only minus I found for the stroller (besides the price) was that the seat sits very low, so even when the seat is positioned rear-facing it is still hard to make eye contact with my baby due to the low position.
I definitely recommend this stroller for anyone who has the financial means to afford it since it is not easy to find such a lightweight stroller with some many great standard size stroller features.