But thanks to advancements in technology, you can also get strollers that give you great features and more bang for the buck.
First, for the uninitiated, what exactly is a lightweight baby stroller and why all the attention?
A lightweight baby stroller is approximately 15 pounds or less, made of high-tech aluminum, portable and folds easily, perfect for overhead cabins in airplanes.
It is more expensive than its counterparts, but it is the perfect choice for people who travel and prefer a sturdy but light alternative to the standard stroller which tend to be heavy and clumsy.
Top 5 Lightweight Stroller For Toddler List
Let’s compare lightweight strollers for toddlers with other types of strollers to help you pick out what’s best for baby and you.
Full Featured Strollers Vs lightweight strollers for toddlers
Full Featured Baby Stroller Features
- Have the sturdiest frames and wheels, which afford a smoother ride
- Wider and roomier, with comfortable padded seats
- Fully reclining seat for newborns that cannot yet support their heads
- Lots of storage space with bells and whistles such as a large canopy, front play trays and adjustable-height handles
- Tend to be heavy (up to 30 pounds)
- Bulky and awkward to fold
- More expensive
Lightweight Baby Stroller Features
- Lighter and more compact than full-featured strollers
- Less expensive than full-featured strollers
- Offer spring-action folding
- Easy to maneuver
- Less stable and durable than full-featured strollers
- Don’t usually recline fully, and thus aren’t appropriate for newborns up to 3 months old, who need to lie completely flat. (Only a few have fully reclining seats)
- Far fewer convenience features (such as cupholders and larger baskets)
1) Chicco Liteway Stroller, Fog
Chicco Liteway Stroller, Fog
Too low to display
1 used from $77.17
- 4-position backrest easily adjusts with one hand for growing children
- Adjustable, removable canopy with peek-a-boo window
- The Liteway stroller holds children up to 40lbs only. Any child larger than 40lbs will have trouble fitting in the stroller
- Lightweight aluminum frame. Assembled Dimensions - 35 x 19 x 40 Inches. Folded Dimensions - 46 x 10 x 11.75 Inches
- Compact fold with automatic storage latch and carry handle
In this Chicco Liteway Stroller review, we’ll discover why this stroller is a personal favorite of moms everywhere.
Let’s start with the feature moms have been raving about the most – the 5 position reclinable baby seat.
I noticed it is padded with a cushy material that is comfortable to the touch. At the same time, it’s quite safe. It has a 5 point harness to keep your baby snugly in place.
I really liked that the snapping mechanism on the harness is covered – this way it will never pitch your baby’s skin.
The seat can be reclined horizontally (180 degrees) using only one hand. This is great for when you want your baby to sleep comfortably.
Since the seat reclines to a flat position, you can also change your baby’s diaper while he’s lying in the stroller. This is an added benefit that comes in handy when you are not near your car or a restroom.
The wheels are another fantastic part of this stroller.
They are sleek and turn easily – to change direction of the stroller you only need to use one hand. The front wheels swivel, which is great for when you are trying to turn in tight spaces like shops, restaurants, or store aisles.
You can also lock them into place if you need to ride across rougher terrain (grass, gravel, sand, etc.). If they ever get dirty you can detach the wheels from the stroller and clean them in a few minutes.
The wheels are easy to take off. The only drawback is that the wheels do stick out a bit when you collapse the stroller, making it skinny but somewhat long.
This stroller also has dual side lockable brakes, which you can lock into place with either your left or right foot. The brake snap into place with a firm press on the pedals.
Another great feature on this umbrella stroller is its large shopping basket located underneath the seat of the stroller. It provides plenty of storage space. But best of all – it’s detachable and can act as a shoulder bag.
The Chicco Liteway stroller is all season ready. You’ve got the extendable canopy to protect your child from the sun’s harsh rays during the summer, an attachable rain cover for those rainy days during the spring and fall seasons, and a hideaway boot enclosure for early fall.
The hideaway boot acts a small cover to keep your baby cozy and warm.
Once it’s warm out, you can detach the boot and use the adjustable foot rest. The foot rest is great for supporting your child’s legs and providing that extra bit of comfort.
And you will be comfortable too because this stroller has padded handlebars that have a nice feel and provide a great grip. If you are taller than average, this stroller will also be great for you because you won’t have to hunch over in order to reach the handlebars.
It is also a stroller that will last until your baby grows-up. This stroller is recommended from your child’s birth up until he reaches his 3rd birthday.
It has a maximum carrying capacity of 40 lbs. Since it’s so rugged and durable, a few parents have even used the same stroller for their second child. That speaks volumes to how long you can have this stroller for.
The video below shows you some of the great features of this stroller (the boot “muff” in the video is only available in the UK version of the Chicco Liteway stroller, the US version is a little lighter).
This brings us to the end of the Chicco Liteway Stroller review. In closing, I want you to know that this is a great stroller that provides a lot of value. It’s so great, that according to these Toys R Us customer reviews – 81% of parents would recommend this stroller to a friend.
That’s a really high recommendation percentage! As if that weren’t enough, this stroller is also recommended by ConsumerSearch.com as the “Best Umbrella Stroller for Newborns.” Currently the best price for this stroller is on Amazon and you can currently get FREE shipping if you buy through their website.
- 5 seat positions
- Fully reclinable
- Detachable wheels
- Comfortable for tall parents
- Padded handles
- Super easy to fold
- Rain cover and foot muff are included
- Low price
- Extremely durable
- Not that light (20.7 lbs)
- Long even when colapsed
- Canopy is kind of small
Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 Stroller - 2019 | Baby Stroller with All-Terrain Tires | Quick Fold Lightweight Stroller
2 used from $327.51
- SAFE AND SNUG: Stroller seat holds a child up to 65 pounds and includes a 5 point stroller harness to keep your child safely secured
- UNCOMPROMISED AGILITY: Stroller has forever air rubber tires with all wheel suspension, providing uncompromised agility on any terrain
- ONE HAND FOLD: Lift a strap with one hand and the City Mini GT2 stroller folds itself simply and compactly
- CREATE A TRAVEL SYSTEM: Add a City GO Infant Car Seat using the included City GO infant car seat adapters (car seat sold separately) and go anywhere from day one
- COMFORTABLE FOR PARENTS: Adjustable handlebar and hand operated parking brake provides comfortable steering and control all within arm's reach
We gave the City Jogger Mini by Baby Jogger a perfect rating in durability, comfort, and convenience.
This makes it the best lightweight stroller you can buy at this price point. The is made with busy moms in mind.
If you’re always out and about, rushing from place to place, this is the perfect stroller for you. It is fairly lightweight and quite easy to fold and unfold.
To collapse the stroller, you just pull up on the strap located in the middle of the baby seat.
When you grab the strap and lift, the stroller automatically collapses and locks itself into that position.
You can literally collapse it in a couple of seconds and stick it in the trunk of your car.
It is very compact, so don’t worry about it taking up too much trunk space (it only takes up about 1/4th of the trunk space in a Honda Civic).
The baby seat is nicely padded. It is 20 inches wide, has a 19.5 inch seat-back, and it spans 23 inches from the seat to the canopy.
It also has a roomy seating surface, more specifically 10 inches from the back of the seat to the area where your child bends his legs.
There is also a 10 inch leg surface. The stroller has one of the roomiest baby seats I’ve seen.
It can accommodate children that are up to 50 lbs. If your child is a little taller or bigger than average – this stroller would be perfect for him.
This stroller also has a 150 degree recline capability which is great for when you want your baby to nap. It is easy to adjust even when using one hand.
The seat also has a mesh window that allows air to circulate on hot summer days. If it’s cold out, you can cover the window using the built in Velcro flap.
The City Jogger Mini Is a Dream to Drive
The stroller is a pleasure to drive. It glides across the ground smoothly and is easy to steer. Parents who bought this stroller commented on how much they loved its maneuverability.
It’s easy to steer because of the high handlebar, which is 41 inches from the ground.
This is great for taller parents, but if you are shorter it might be a little high for you. The negative is that the handlebar is not adjustable.
The wheels are 8 inches and the tires are made out of hard rubber.
They’ll never go flat. There are three wheels with the front wheel being a swivel wheel that you can lock into place. The stroller does have front wheel suspension, so it will absorb some of the bumps in the road.
Just like on the Chicco Liteway Stroller, the wheels on the Baby Jogger City Mini are also detachable.
That means that you will be able to wash them or change them with ease. The wheels can be locked using the brake on the back wheels.
Although the locking mechanism works well, the pedal you have to press is a bit small.
A Baby Jogger Stroller With Great Features
This stroller also has an extra-large canopy. The full coverage canopy has two peekaboo windows so you can check in on your child.
The drawback is that the peekaboo window covers are held in place by Velcro, which make them a bit hard to remove without making noise.
The basket underneath the stroller is roomy. It is also easy to access due to its unique shape.
The bar holding the basket is swooped downwards so your hand can quickly fit through and grab whatever you need.
The basket also has elastic sides so you can have quick access to toys or diapers without having to go around to the back of the stroller.
The City Jogger Mini is one of the best strollers out in the marketplace right now. It has a lot of great features and can also be fitted with a car seat adapter.
While it does have a bit of a higher sticker price, it provides a lot of value for the money. It will also last you a while since your child will be able to use it until he’s around 4 years old.
- Great mover ability
- Extra large canopy
- Very roomy
- Can handle up to 50 lbs
- Fits a car seat (adapter sold separately)
- Extremely compact
- Comfortable seating
- Large easy-access basket
- Handlebar is non-adjustable
- Velcro peekaboo window covers
- Small brake pedal
Summer Infant 3D Lite Convenience Stroller - Black
4 used from $58.72
- Durable Product
- Anti shock front wheels
- Maximum storage basket load is 10 pounds. Storage pocket and cup holder load is 2 pounds
- Seat dimensions is 13 inches wide by 10.25 inches deep, and the seat back is 17.5 inches high
- Maximum weight and height of child is 50 pounds, 43 inch
While most moms know about this Summer Infant 3D Lite stroller, the hip ones have labeled it the “most stylish stroller” around. It doesn’t look like any stroller from the past, that’s for sure.
This baby carrier is really cool; I think it looks like it just came out of a futuristic sci-fi movie. It has a slender shape, a lightweight aluminum frame, and perfectly aligned wheels.
Let’s start by talking about this baby carrier’s great slender shape which helps it take on the qualities of an umbrella stroller.
The stroller’s shape makes it skinny, contributes to it taking little space when compacted, and aids it when maneuvering in tight spaces (busy restaurants are easy to navigate as it glides around tables and chairs).
That being said, this baby carrier is more solidly built than a standard umbrella stroller. And while most umbrella strollers are wobbly, the Emotion stroller is solid and balanced.
The reason it is so solid is due to its sturdy frame. The frame is made of aluminum, which not only makes the stroller light, but gives it strength and durability.
The aluminum is also why this stroller looks so stylish. One mother even said that people on the street often stop her and ask her where she got such a trendy carrier.
This stroller has a unique European look and it’s definitely narrower than most baby carriages. Although this carrier does not have a food tray, it does have a cup holder and large storage bin for your child’s things.
This baby stroller differentiates itself from the rest when it comes to handling. It rolls so easily across the pavement that it almost seems like its gliding.
It’s pretty amazing how well it turns and how easy it is to push. The maneuverability is awesome and you can easily get through a crowd of people with a few quick maneuvers.
Who is this Summer Infant 3D Lite ideal for?
This stroller is great for moms who are on the go. Ones that have to travel through narrow spaces or crowded areas.
Since it does not have a food tray and the seats covers are NOT washable, I don’t recommend buying it if you’d like to feed your child while he’s still strapped in the stroller.
Personally, I never fed my kid while he was in the stroller, but I know some moms like to feed their kids while they’re still strapped in.
Having said that, I think this stroller is perfect for any mom who’s on the go. It will turn heads and have people wondering where you go such a snazzy looking baby carriage.
- Has a slim design
- Narrower than most strollers it’s size
- Smooth ride due to wheel design
- Stable and sturdy
- Great for travel
- Adjustable canopy
- Canopy has pop out sun visor.
- Non-adjustable handles
- Not Car seat compatible
Cosco Umbrella Stroller (Monster Elliot)
2 used from $23.10
- Your child will love riding along in this fun, monster-themed Cosco stroller
- This stroller features a simple umbrella fold that's compact and stores easily in a closet or car
- A double foot brake provides extra safety on inclined surfaces or when moving the child into or out of the stroller
- Designed for travel, this fun stroller is lightweight and easy to carry
- The three-point safety harness keeps children up to 40 pounds safe and secure, plus a built-in leg rest keeps little feet comfortable
If you are looking for a Cosco umbrella stroller with canopy, then you’re probably searching for the Cosco Umbrella Stroller (Monster Elliot).
The first thing you’ll notice about this stroller is that it looks kinda retro. The frame, design, and wheels have a modern look, but the colors and material look vintage.
If you are a trend-setter, you might find this stroller’s appearance quite charming. However, if you are looking for something more modern – you’ll want to find a different stroller.
At first glance, this stroller seems pretty basic. It doesn’t have any of the fancy features you’d expect from a stroller.
There are only two recline positions for the seat, which means you won’t be able to use this stroller for long walks or extensive traveling. The canopy is not extra long, so it can’t fully shade your baby from the sun.
As for the handling, parents who have bought this Cosco umbrella stroller have stated that it’s pretty hard to steer.
The front wheels have even been described as “atrocious” in some of the reviews. While the stroller doesn’t have any problems when it’s being pushed forward, if you try to veer left or right the front wheels start to shift in opposite directions.
Although the front wheels are not locked, they do sometimes get stuck in a diagonal position. This means you have to readjust them using your hands before they become unstuck.
With all these negative reviews stacked against it, why would anyone ever buy this baby stroller? Well, because it’s unbelievably cheap! This stroller is selling for under $30 right now (edit: the price has changed).
There is currently no other stroller that even comes close to matching this amount. At this price, you can’t complain about what you’re getting because you’re paying next to nothing.
The Cosco Juvenile Deluxe Comfort Ride is the epitome of a discount stroller. And you’re not going to be using a discount stroller for anything intensive. However if you are going on a weekend trip or for a picnic, this stroller would fit your needs.
While it’s good for a few uses, this Cosco umbrella stroller with canopy is not a good long term stroller.
Personally, I wouldn’t recommend it to a relative or friend. I think it falls short on so many levels.
The price may be low, but the quality is low as well. If you are thinking of buying this stroller, I would strongly recommend you check out the Chicco Liteway Stroller first.
The Chicco Liteway Stroller may be thrice the price of this Cosco stroller, but it provides 10x the value. If you want a top of the line stroller, which also costs a little more, then read my Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 review.
Still, if you can’t afford the other strollers, this Cosco stroller is the cheapest stroller you’ll find anywhere! No other stroller will beat its low price.
- Extremely low price
- Very light
- Easy to fold
- Easy to lift
- Hard to steer
- Wheels don’t track well
- Frame feels flimsy
Kolcraft Cloud Plus Lightweight Compact Stroller, Fire Red
3 used from $46.36
- LIGHTWEIGHT -- Travel friendly lightweight design (only 11.8 lbs), perfect for traveling and day trips. Disney Size Approved!
- LARGE CANOPY --Three-tier, extended canopy for maximum UV protection. A peek-a-boo window so you can easily keep a watchful eye on your baby.
- EASY ONE-HAND FOLD -- Convenient one-hand and self-standing fold, perfect for car travel and vacations.
- RECLINING SEAT -- Reclining seat offers 5-point safety restraint system and accommodates child up to 40 pounds and 40 inches tall. (Does not recline completely flat)
- ROOMY STORAGE -- Large, easy to access storage basket holds all baby's necessities. Removable child tray with dual cup & juice box holder, and parent tray with two drink holders and extra storage area.
If you have been searching for a great all around baby stroller that is affordable and will last for a long time, then the Kolcraft Cloud Plus Stroller is exactly the baby carrier you’ve been trying to find.
This stroller’s low price, durability, and child comfort rating are its primary selling points.
Kolcraft has kept cost of this Cloud Plus stroller low by using a combination of tough plastics as well as a light alloy frame.
Although they cost less, the materials are surprisingly durable – making this one tough little stroller.
And even though it’s tough, you’ll be amazed by how smoothly it glides along. This is partially due to the 6 inch front swivel wheels and the 8 inch rear rubberized wheels, which cushion your little one from any small bumps in the road.
These wheels turn on a dime, you can even turn the stroller using only one hand.
The great thing about this stroller is also that it’s easily collapsible (you do need to use two hands though). Once it’s collapsed this stroller is quite compact and since it’s not a space hog, it can even fit in small car trunks.
Unlike other strollers in this price range, this baby stroller comes with a snack tray that is great for holding a sippy cup and snacks.
It’s also removable, so you can store it in the stroller’s basket when you want to give your baby more space. Don’t worry; your little one will still have the 5-point harness to keep him safely in the carrier.
There are a couple of things you should know before purchasing it though. Let’s start with the seating positions.
On the plus side, this stroller has 5 reclining positions for your baby. However, there isn’t a straight up (90 degree angle) option.
This isn’t a problem if your child is heavier than 40 lbs, but if he’s smaller, you should be aware that he won’t be able to sit up fully in this stroller.
Another issue I’ve seen a few parents talk about is the length of the canopy. It’s not as long as some parents would like.
Although I believe it’s an adequate length, if you want to completely shield your child from the sun, you may want to check out this Baby Jogger City Mini GT2 stroller.
In closing, I wanted to say that this Kolcraft Cloud Plus stroller offers fantastic value for the price.
Sure, it has a couple of minor flaws, but at this price it’s a bargain for all the features you’re getting.
I’d personally recommend this stroller to anyone that wanted to get an affordable baby carriage that offers a ton of value.
- Low Price
- Easy to maneuver
- Comfortable ride
- Long Footrest
- Snack tray
- Large storage basket
- Easy to assemble
- Very compact
- Feature packed
- No upright seating position
- Lacks height adjustable bar
- Canopy is a little flimsy
What To Look For When Buying A Lightweight Baby Stroller
Safety features –
- Safety ratings say a lot, especially if your number one consideration is the baby’s security.
- Test for wheel locks, rear breaks, tip resistance, and leg openings that would prevent the baby from slipping through.
- According to consumersearch.com, you should also look for exposed hinges, which might trap the baby’s fingers. This was the reason behind a massive recall in 2009, amid reports that Maclaren strollers were responsible for amputating the fingers of 12 US children.
Easy handling –
- If you usually travel alone with the baby, the ease of opening and closing the stroller is a great feature. Some models even have an easy-fold mechanism, perfect for bus rides.
- How many reclining positions can it do? If you have a newborn, you need a fully reclining seat. Padding makes the ride more comfortable for the baby, but it’s not only the passenger’s comfort that’s important.
- Adjustable handles, easy maneuverability and bars that are easily opened or removed so you can get the baby in and out easily are other comfort features to look for in a lightweight strollers for toddlers
Washability or an easy clean surface –
- Because babies are messy. ‘Nuff said.
- Make sure it is sturdy and well constructed. Lightweight strollers for toddlers are expensive, so you should get the proper value for money.
- If you want high-end strollers, search for used strollers on eBay, or get an older model, since sometimes the only difference is the fabric design.
Now that you know the pros and cons and what to look for in a lightweight baby stroller, good luck and choose well!
Lightweight Baby Stroller Brands
For parents looking for the best lightweight stroller, there are numerous manufacturers and brands that offer some excellent examples at very cost efficient prices.
Lightweight baby strollers are becoming increasingly popular with both parents and nannies due to the fast-paced lifestyle that creates a need for convenient operation in infant strollers. Prices for some of the best lightweight stroller lines can range from as little as 50 or $60, all the way up to 700 or even $1000.
The best lightweight strollers present consumers with some amazing features and extremely innovative designs with some of the more popular and well-known brands on the market today.
Some of the best lightweight stroller brands include Maxi, Kolcraft, and McLaren to name but a few.
Many of the best lightweight stroller examples incorporate high safety features such as three point and five point harness strapping systems to keep your infants safe and secure, especially on bumpy terrain.
Nearly all of the lightweight strollers for toddlers today incorporate an extremely innovative steering system and many of the best lightweight stroller vehicles actually have independent suspension systems allowing for a smooth and safe ride for your infant.
The best lightweight stroller manufacturers also understand the need for convenience and user-friendly operation with many of their lightweight strollers and the aftermarket accessories available are extremely useful for people who are constantly on the move.
There are also some very creative designs presented by the manufacturers and consumers can now enjoy some really beautiful colors and designs incorporated in both the material and the framework of many of the light weight baby stroller examples.
Best Lightweight Stroller For Toddler: – Conclusion
Umbrella strollers are recommended as a good second stroller for a toddler. If you have the budget, it makes sense to get a lightweight baby stroller.
The convenience it gives you and the comfort it provides the baby could be worth the difference in price. Some parents buy an umbrella stroller for quick trips to the supermarket but keep a standard stroller around for daily walks.
In our opinion, it is kind of redundant when you think about it, especially when you can have the convenience of one and the stability of the other when you invest in one of the best lightweight baby strollers available in the market.
In fact it’s more practical to get lightweight strollers for toddlers.
Now, let’s narrow down the most important things to look for when buying compact, lightweight strollers for toddlers.
There is a wide choice available out there. Brand name, style, quality of material, practicality and safety features are some of the things you need to consider.