A user favorite when buying a convertible car seat is the Britax Roundabout. The Roundabout comes equipped with all of the great safety features offered in all of the Britax car seats, considered some of the best seats on the market, but is compact enough to easily fit in the smallest of backseats.
- Safe car seat and side impact protection
- Fits well in small, compact cars
- Long rear facing use
- Easy to use LATCH installation
- Easy To Adjust Straps
- Comfortable and padded seat
- May outgrow before the weight limit
- Straps not as easy to adjust on the Roundabout 55 as they were on the older Roundabout model
- Seatbelt installation can be difficult
Britax Roundabout Car Seat Features
The Britax Roundabout car seat can be used rear facing from 5 lbs-40 lbs and then converted to a forward facing seat from 20 lbs-55 lbs—perfect for the new recommendations suggesting that you keep your child rear facing for at least two years.
After your child reaches 55 lbs and is 46 inches in height, it is time to purchase a booster car seat.
The Roundabout seat comes with Side Impact Protection (which distributes crash forces, shields the baby from vehicle intrusions (debris like flying glass caused by an accident) and contains the head, neck and body of the infant.
It also comes with a 5-point harness and is an ideal seat for compact cars.
Other features of the Roundabout as taken from the Britax site are:
- SafeCell Technology features SafeCells designed to compress in a crash, significantly lowering the center of gravity and counteracting the forward rotation of the child seat which normally propels the child toward the front seat
- Integrated Steel Bars strengthen the connection to the vehicle and reduce forward flexing of the child seat during the crash
- Energy-Absorbing Versa-Tether features a staged-release tether webbing to slow the forward forward rotation while anchoring the top of the child seat
- Side Impact Protection comprised of deep side walls lined with energy-absorbing EPP foam distributes crash forces, shields from vehicle intrusion, and contains the head, neck and body
- Tangle-free, Five-Point Harness distributes crash forces across the strongest parts of the body and provides a secure fit
- 55-pound Weight Capacity for safety and comfort as your child grows
- Rear and Forward Facing Recline for child comfort and positioning
- High Density Comfort Foam provides an extra layer of padding to gently cushion your child
- Two Buckle Positions for your growing child
- Infant Positioning Insert may be necessary for small infants to achieve a snug fit of the harness around your child (sold separately)
- Premium Lower LATCH Connectors for a quick and simple installation featuring a push button for easy release
- Built-in Lock-Offs ensure a snug lap and shoulder belt installation with minimal effort
- Anti-Slip, Contoured Base grips and protects the vehicle seat while offering optimum vehiclefit
- Convenient Harness Holders keep harness straps out of the way when placing your child in the car seat
- Weight: 17.6 lbs
- Dimensions: 18.5 Wx26Hx21D inches
- Certified for Aircraft Travel
- Made in the USA with global components
Britax Roundabout Car Seat User Reviews
After reading through these many reviews I have summarized the main points given by the parent reviewers. Almost every parent makes a point of saying how simple the Britax Roundabout car seat is to install and they all love the LATCH system.
Parents also comment on how easy the Roundabout is to clean (wipe with wet rag or hand wash the material) and how comfortable their baby is sitting in the seat.
They also say the straps are easy to tighten and loosen and they love the Velcro on the straps that allow them to be attached to the sides of the seat while you put baby in and take baby out of the seat.
Many users also really compliment Britax’s customer service and say they are really polite and efficient.
All the parents are thrilled that the Roundabout is not bulky and love how it fits perfectly in compact cars and sedans without forcing the front passenger seat to move forward.
Parents are also very happy about the safety standard of the seat due to the side impact protection, steel frame and Britax’s reputation for high standards in car seat safety.
One reviewer even tells of a car accident her and her baby were in, which caused the car to flip over. She said her baby was perfectly fine after the accident and that the seat was a life saver for her baby.
Britax Roundabout Car Seat Negatives
There are very few negatives reviews for the Britax Roundabout convertible car seat but a few parents are concerned that their child might outgrow the seat before the maximum weight limit.
Also, some parents are unhappy with Britax’s new design for the harness strap release and say it makes it difficult to adjust the straps—especially when compared to the old design. Lastly, installing this seat using a seatbelt rather than the Latch system can be a bit tricky.
However, most parents love the Britax Roundabout car seat, say this seat has grown well with their baby and feel the Roundabout is a great investment. No regrets.