Recaro ProSport Combination Harness-to-Booster Car Seat
The Recaro ProSport Booster Car Seat is a premium Combination Harness-to-Booster seat designed to offer your most precious passengers the safety you demand and the comfort they need.
Recaro is an internationally recognized leader in seating safety, ergonomics, comfort and style. Over Recaro’s 100 years of history, they have designed seats for the world’s most prestigious automobiles, race cars and award winning child safety restraints.
Also check out reviews for the Britax USA Grow with You ClickTight Harness-2-Booster Car Seat and the Evenflo Big Kid Amp Booster Car Seat.
- Long Lasting: 90 lb weight limit using the 5-point harness
- Supports Head During Naps
- Soft Material
- Fits Car (Not Too Bulky)
- SAFE, SAFE, SAFE—Great Side Impact Protection! Exceeds required US car seat safety standards.
- No Cup Holder
- 5-Point Harness Too Short For Larger/Older Kids On Older Models—This problem has been corrected as of the 3rd quarter of 2012.
- Straps Twist (just a few complaints–many others say this is not a problem)
- Side-Impact Head Wings Can Make It Difficult For Child To See Out Window (just a few complaints–many others say this is not a problem)
Recaro ProSport Booster Features
Side Impact Protection: Recaro’s Side Impact Protection is designed to distinctly protect 5 vulnerable areas of a child in a side impact collision—their head, neck, face, torso and pelvis.
- EasyGuide Belt Guides: Whether in Harness or Booster mode, each belt guide is color coded so you can easily identify the proper belt path and positioning of either the LATCH strap or vehicle seat belt.
- EasyAdjust 5-Point Harness: The harness adjusts with the head restraint. No re-threading is necessary to properly position the harness shoulder straps to your child.
- ErgoShell Structure: The ProSport’s ergonomic shell is designed to offer child occupants the comfort qualities Recaro seats are known throughout the world for.
- SoftTouch Seat Cushion: Ample soft cushioning in the seat of the ProSport ensures a comfortable ride.
- EPS Foam: Expanded Polystyrene “EPS” foam absorbs crash force energy through the ProSport for added protection.
- QuickLift Head Restraint: Convenient lift lever allows easy positioning of the head restraint to properly fit your child.
- Multi-Purpose Storage Pockets: Convenient built in storage for snacks, juice boxes, small hand held electronic devices and other storage needs.
- QuickFlip Recline System: Recline mechanism offers quick and easy adjustment to properly fit the ProSport to your vehicle.
- Highest Harness Capacity Available: At 90 lbs, the ProSport has the highest weight capacity available today using a 5-point harness system.
- Highest Weight Limit Available: As a child grows, the ProSport converts to a High Back Booster Car Seat. At 120 lbs, it has the highest weight capacity available when used as a belt positioning booster seat.
- LATCH: Premium push button LATCH system and built in LATCH storage system for when not in use
- Tether System
- Soft Harness Pads
Recaro Car Seat Side Impact Protection
Recaro Side Impact Protection protects 5 vulnerable areas of your child during a side impact collision (the most deadly type of collision for a child). Recaro developed and optimized side impact protection for race car seats in the 1990’s then quickly adapted their expertise to set a new standard for premium child safety seats.
- Head: The pronounced head wings protect your child from the likelihood of serious head injuries caused by the side-to-side crash forces common during side impact collisions.
- Face: Intruding objects, such as the door of the vehicle can cause harm to your child’s soft facial tissue. Pronounced head wings provide a barrier between your child and intruding objects.
- Neck: The proprietary head restraint and ergonomic shell limit lateral movement of your child’s neck during a side impact collision, reducing the risk of neck and spinal cord injuries.
- Torso: Your child’s torso is vulnerable to internal injuries during a side impact collision. Pronounced side bolsters limit extreme side-to-side crash forces.
- Pelvis: Recaro’s hip and thigh bolsters are designed to protect your child from pelvic fractures and muscle damage, which can occur during a side impact collision.
A stable base and reinforced side wings allow the child to be protected in the five affected areas in a side impact collision—the head, face, neck, torso, and pelvis. When the ProSport is used in harness mode, the five point harness system allows the child to be restrained safely for minimum movement in the event of a collision. As the child grows, this two-in-one seat can be converted into a high back booster seat to continue to safely protect the child. The harness of the ProSport can be removed and the seat can be adjusted to grow with your child. A universal top tether system and a built-in premium push button LATCH system also allow the seat to stay fixed to the vehicle for minimum movement. High-quality EPS and PUR foam also contribute to safe and comfortable seat.
Recaro Car Seat Safety Testing
The Recaro ProRide convertible car seat is tested to and exceeds all U.S. federal regulations for safety. All Recaro seats are evaluated in their safety centers in both the U.S and Europe.
U.S. federally mandated testing standards Recaro seats are required to meet and additional standards:
- FMVSS 213: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for Child Restraint Systems
- FMVSS 302: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for Flammability of Interior Materials
- ADAC: Most recognized Automotive Testing Organization in Europe for Side Impact Protection Testing. Currently there is no U.S. side impact testing standard requirement. Recaro submits our child safety restraints for side impact testing through the ADAC. The ProRide passes ADAC side impact testing standards.
- The ProRide is certified for use in aircraft. Can be used rear facing and forward facing in aircraft. Aircraft seat belt must be used because LATCH is not available on aircraft.
- Width: 18.5 in
- Depth 14 in
- Height: 25-30 in (at maxium head restraint position)
- Weight: 22 lbs
Cost: The Recaro ProSport Combination Harness to Booster Seat retails for $279.99.
Recaro ProSport Booster Car Seat User Reviews
The Recaro ProSport combination harness to booster seat has received a rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars from reviewers at amazon.com and diapers.com.
Why We Love The Recaro ProSport
The number one reason users love the Recaro ProSport Combination Harness to Booster car seat is safety. Recaro is well known in the world of car racing and they have a great reputation for safe and protective car seats. Recaro goes above and beyond the US child car seat safety standards and rigorously tests and ensures their car seats are safe, especially for side impact collisions.
Users also love that in addition to getting the safest seat they can, the ProSport is also a comfortable and easy to use car seat. The seat is well cushioned and many of the reviewers say their child instantly falls asleep every time they ride in the ProSport. Long car trips with their child are now peaceful occasions and children happily relax and enjoy the scenery out the window while riding in this seat. Also, the seat’s side head wings that protect a child’s head during side impact collisions work great at supporting a child’s head during naps in the car—no heads flopping forward.
The seat fabric on the ProSport is soft and easy to wipe clean, and mesh side pockets are great for storing snacks and toys. The harness straps are easy to adjust and the seat is easy to install, especially with the LATCH system. The Recaro ProSport is narrower than many of its competitors without compromising seat space for larger toddlers and this narrow width helps it to fit well in the back seat of the car while still leaving room for two adults to sit.
More Reasons To Fall In Love
Users feel the ProSport booster car seat is worth every penny and is the safest car seat on the market. Users love that they can use the 5-pont harness until 90 lbs, which allows them to keep their child strapped this way longer than other car seats on the market allow. Many users say they are so happy with this seat they have even bought an additional ProSport for their second car or for the grandparents and/or nanny’s car. The seat is a bit heavy but that is because of its steel frame that is covered in soft styrofoam which is what makes it a strong and sturdy seat and helps to absorb side impacts and distribute the crash energy. Since it can be converted to a booster seat that can be used until 120 lbs, this is really the last car seat you will ever need to buy. Users truly feel that the Recaro ProSport is “best seat for toddlers.”
Recaro ProSport Negatives
One of the main complaints about the Recaro ProSport Combination Harness to Booster seat is that has no cup holder. However, this is a minor gripe.
The below problem has been correct on all seats made after autumn 2012:
On the more serious side, there are several reviewers who find the 5-point harness straps too short and don’t see how their child can remain strapped in it until 90 lbs. Many users say their children who are in the 40 lb range and are about 44 inches in height are already starting to outgrow the straps. They say when their child of this size is strapped in with a coat on there is little room to spare with the straps. They wonder how these straps will ever fit a 90 lb, 50 inch tall child? These users prefer the Britax Frontier 85 because although the harness straps are only for children up to 85 lbs, they are somehow longer than the straps on the ProSport.
***The problem with the short straps has been corrected by Recaro as of the 3rd quarter of 2012. All models of the Recaro ProSport Booster car seat manufactured from this time on now have longer straps and those owners with older models of the booster seat can contact Recaro to receive the new, longer harness straps, free of charge. You can easily take out the old, shorter straps on your ProSport and thread through the new straps.