A great choice when choosing a car seat is the Britax Diplomat Convertible Car Seat. Britax car seats are known as some of the safest seats on the market and the Diplomat combines the many technologically advanced safety features available in the Britax Boulevard convertible car seat with the size and lightweight conveniences of the Britax Roundabout car seat. Britax may have finally made the perfect car seat!
*The Britax Diplomat Car Seat was retired (discontinued) in late 2010, early 2011.
Britax Diplomat Car Seat Features
The Britax Diplomat car seat can be used rear facing from 5lbs-35lbs. It can then be converted to a forward facing seat after one year or from 20lbs-40lbs.
After the baby reaches 40lbs and is 40in in height, it is time to purchase a booster seat. The Diplomat car seat, like the bulkier Britax Boulevard, comes with True Side Impact Protection (which distributes crash forces, shields the baby from vehicle intrusions (debris like flying glass caused by an accident), contains the head and body of the infant and keeps the head, neck and spine “in true” alignment to limit injury.
It also has an easy to adjust head rest and harness that does not require the removal of the seat from the car like many other car seats and you can adjust the harness height without having to rethread the harness straps.. Like the Britax Roundabout Convertible car seat, the Diplomat is designed to fit in compact cars.
Other features of the Diplomat as taken from the Britax site are:
- No Re-thread Harness Adjustment allows you to adjust the harness height without having to re-thread the harness straps
- Energy-Absorbing Base deforms in the event of a crash to absorb impact forces
- Plush, Premium Cover Set with matching belly pad provides extra comfort
- Front Harness Adjuster provides effortless front adjustment when loosening the harness system
- Small Contoured Base ensures a tight installation in all types of vehicles
- Convenient Harness Holders keep harness straps out of the way while placing child in the car seat
- Built-in Lock-Off(s) secure the vehicle seat belt so that the child seat does not move more than one inch side- to-side or front-to-back at the belt path • Infant Body Pillow for infant positioning and a custom fit
- High Density Comfort Foam provides an extra layer of padding to gently cushion the child
- Energy-Absorbing Foam Liner (EPS) absorbs and distributes crash forces
- Rear and Forward Facing Recline for child comfort and positioning
- Premium, Push-Button Lower LATCH Connectors for a quick, simple, and tight installation
- Patented, Energy-Absorbing Versa-Tether with staged-release tether webbing, anchors the top of the child seat at two points tominimize forward movement in a crash
- Five-Point Harness makes contact with the strongest parts of the body
- FAA approved and can be used as a safety seat for babies and children on airplanes.
- 16 lbs
Britax Diplomat Car Seat User Reviews
I think perhaps one of the best comments I read in the reviews about the Britax Diplomat was from one woman who writes the Diplomat has “all of the Britax safety features in a compact size.”
Parents love that the Diplomat comes with all of the safety elements of the Boulevard, like the True Side Impact Protection (which protects both the head and body of the baby), and many say it is even more updated than the Britax Boulevard, but with the compact convenience of the Britax Roundabout.
Like with the other Britax car seats, the Diplomat is rated as easy to install and parents love the LATCH installation system which is as simple as clicking in a seatbelt!
Also, as with the other Britax seats, the straps on the Diplomat do not get twisted and you do not need to rethread the harness to adjust the strap height.
Parents rate these items as great features and also love the side impact protected headwings that also help to prevent a child’s head from slumping during naps.
Users say the Britax Diplomat car seat is well padded and very comfortable for babies and children, although it is not quite as roomy as the Britax Boulevard due to its lower maximum weight.
The seat comes with a removable infant insert that helps to fit babies as small as 5 lbs safely and the rear-facing 30 lb weight limit should hold most children rear facing for the new minimum 2-year requirement, even longer.
Users note that the fabric is easy to wipe down and clean, but do remind readers that it is not machine washable—but it can be removed for hand washing.
The Diplomat is slightly bigger than the Roundabout but fits in most compact and sedan cars without a problem and is much less bulky and more lightweight than the Britax Boulevard car seat.
Britax Diplomat Negatives? Not Really.
The only real negative that users say about the Britax Diplomat car seat is that children can only use it up to 40 lbs while with the Britax Boulevard children can remain in the car seat until they reached 65lbs. (or 70 lbs on the new Britax Boulevard 70).
However, other parents do comment that by the time most children reach 40 lbs you can switch to a booster car seat without a problem.
My Two Cents
I use this car seat with my daughter and have done so since I brought her home from the hospital.
I have probably the most compact of compact cars anyone could possibly buy and the Britax Diplomat, even in the rear facing position, fits perfectly fine in the back of my car and does not affect the seat position of the front passenger seat.
I love that I am able to get all of the safety features of some of the larger and bulkier car seats in a seat that fits well in a compact car and my daughter has been very comfortable and happy in this seat.
I would definitely recommend the Britax Diplomat convertible car seat for parents looking for a safe car seat that won’t take up a lot of space.
Approaching my daughter’s second birthday and even though she is in the 94th percentile in weight, she still fits rear facing without a problem! Love this car seat.
The straps are easy to adjust, and the button for releasing the 5-point harness is the easiest I have ever encountered. So far, this has been a great car seat and I am very sad to discover that Britax has discontinued the Diplomat.
*All Britax car seats are made in the USA.